Monday, March 1, 2010

OneBeard, TreeRing, or Bearding

I love the Internet. I don't love everything on the Internet. But I can find humor in some of the more benign perverse things (before your mind goes in the gutter keep reading). One such things are shipper websites. As Hedorah once pointed out, there are even CSI shippers. I'm not talking normal shipping, such as Buffy and Angel, or Scully and Muldar, but slash shippers.

But this makes me seem like I enjoy these yaoi pairings, so perhaps I should explain further.

Normal slash pairings are amusing because of their rabid fandom (usually fangirls), but it's those far out, left field, truly beyond the bizarre pairings that make me laugh. Here's an exercise: Think of the most random movie and now think of two obscure, background characters. I bet you there's a pairing for them!

Treebeard and the One Ring? Sure! Man holding baseball bat and waiter #2? Of course!

Even better are RLSPs, real-life shipper pairings. I've seen Bono and the Edge fansites, and even Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillipe divorce fan fic.

I also get a kick out of shipper names. Let's take Treebeard and the One Ring. Possible shipper names include OneBeard, TreeRing and Bearding.
.
So the next time you're bored, try thinking of a slash pairing that's really funny. I bet you there's someone out there who will actually like what you think is funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment